Los Angeles Sexual Orientation Discrimination Lawyer
There is perhaps nothing more personal than one’s sexual orientation. Although society has come a long way in accepting people of many different sexual orientations, it still has a long way to go. Facing discrimination based on your sexual orientation is extremely distressing and when it happens at work, it may feel as though it is impacting every area of your life. It is important to know that you have rights. If you have been treated unfairly, our Los Angeles sexual orientation discrimination lawyer will ensure they are upheld and can help you claim any compensation you deserve.
Sexual Orientation Discrimination and the California Fair Employment & Housing Act
Sexual orientation discrimination occurs when a person is treated unfairly as a direct result of their gender preference or identity. The California Fair Employment & Housing Act (FEHA) requires that everyone be treated fairly at work, regardless of whether they are heterosexual, bisexual, gay, lesbian, or transgender. Unfortunately, these laws are not always enough to prevent discrimination from happening in the workplace. Some of the most common examples of sexual orientation discrimination are as follows:
- Denying benefits or paying lower wages to people of a certain sexual orientation
- Denying specific employees promotions and other opportunities due to their sexual preference
- Harassing a worker who is going through or has gone through gender transition, including intentionally using the individual’s incorrect name or purposely using the wrong pronouns
- Terminating an employee because they are gay, lesbian, bisexual, or transgender
As of April 2016, the FEHA applies to companies who employ more than five people. Changes to the law now indicate that employees who are on leave or out of state are included. Still, all businesses should follow the guidelines set out in the law, as failing to do so could still result in a constitutional claim.
Compensation Available in Sexual Orientation Discrimination Lawsuits
If you feel as though your employer has discriminated against you based on your sexual orientation, you can file a claim against them to recover damages, or financial compensation, for any loss you incurred. Some of the most common types of damages available in these claims include:
- Compensatory damages: If you lost wages, were denied benefits, or suffered any other economic loss, you can recover these losses in a lawsuit.
- Emotional distress: Sexual orientation discrimination is extremely upsetting. You may suffer emotional and psychological effects for years to come. To determine a recovery amount, all facts and circumstances will be considered.
- Punitive damages: If your employer’s misconduct was particularly egregious or malicious, you may be awarded punitive damages, which are meant to punish the defendant.
- Attorney’s fees: If you are successful with your case, the defendant may also be ordered to pay your attorney’s fees.
Call Our Sexual Orientation Discrimination Lawyer in Los Angeles for a Free Consultation
No one should have to face discrimination in the workplace. At The Garza Firm, our Los Angeles sexual orientation discrimination lawyers will ensure your rights are upheld and help you claim any compensation that is justly yours. Call us now at (949) 570-8350 or contact us online to schedule a free consultation.