Los Angeles Discrimination Lawyer
Unfortunately, discrimination has a real presence in Los Angeles, and throughout the entire country. Facing discrimination is always hurtful, and it is extremely difficult to deal with. When discrimination occurs in the workplace, it can make a person’s job unbearable and make them dread going to work. Discrimination is not always easy to detect, but it is important all employees know what to look for. If you believe you have faced discrimination in the workplace, you do have legal options. Our Los Angeles discrimination lawyer explains more about spotting discrimination in the workplace, and what you can do about it.
Common Discriminatory Acts in the Workplace
It is not uncommon for employees to sometimes feel as though they are not being treated fairly in the workplace. However, not all cases of unfairness give rise to a discrimination claim. Some of the most common discriminatory acts in the workplace that can result in a legal claim are as follows:
- Preference of gender: Employees may show preference to one gender over another, and it is not always obvious. For example, employers may create certain tasks that must be accomplished before any employee receives a promotion. If these tasks are easier for one gender to perform than another, it is a sign of gender discrimination.
- Lack of a diverse workplace: One of the most obvious signs of discrimination in the workplace is a lack of diversity. If your co-workers are largely of a certain age, race, gender, or have other similar characteristics, it may be a sign that your employer is discriminating against certain classes of workers.
- Comments of a discriminatory nature: Another very obvious sign of discrimination is when your boss or co-workers make comments about your sex, race, religion, age, or any other protected characteristic.
- Changes in responsibility: If your employer suddenly removes you from a project that has a high level of responsibility, or you are given so much work there is no way you can complete it, you could be the victim of discrimination.
How to Successfully File a Discrimination Claim
Your employer will likely fight back against your accusations of discrimination in the workplace. This is one reason it is so important to work with a Los Angeles discrimination lawyer. Before filing a claim, it is equally important to take the following steps:
- Keep detailed notes about the type of discrimination you experienced, the date, time, and other important details.
- Retain copies of any correspondence between you and Human Resources or your supervisor.
- Remain persistent, as filing a complaint with the Equal Employment Opportunity Commission can take some time, or your employer may not move as quickly as you would like.
- Review your employee handbook, as there may be information about how to proceed with your complaint.
Call Our Discrimination Lawyer in Los Angeles Today
Discrimination in the workplace is very difficult to deal with, but you do not have to do it alone. At The Garza Firm, our Los Angeles discrimination lawyer can help you through the process of filing a complaint or claim and give you the best chance of a successful outcome. Call us now at (949) 570-8350 or contact us online to schedule a free consultation.