Switch to ADA Accessible Theme
Close Menu
California Harassment & Discrimination Lawyers / California University/College Sexual Harassment Lawyer

California University/College Sexual Harassment Lawyer

College students may be excited to live on campus and experience life as an adult, but one main concern is sexual harassment. Sexual harassment can be perpetrated by a teacher, an administrator, or by another student. It can happen in many forms and can make college life tense and full of anxiety.

The good news is that sexual harassment is illegal under Title IX. Title IX is a federal law that covers all forms of sexual harassment, including sexual violence. Sexual harassment includes any unwelcome sexual conduct, including sexual advances, requests for sexual favors, and other verbal, nonverbal, or physical conduct that is sexually explicit in nature. Sexual violence refers to sexual acts of a physical nature that occur without a person’s consent. Title IX also prohibits sex-based harassment, which includes aggression, intimidation, or hostility based on sex or stereotypes.

Although women tend to be susceptible to sexual harassment, all students and staff members are covered under Title IX. Have you been harassed? If so, the California university/college sexual harassment lawyers from The Garza Firm can assess your case and give you advice.

What Happens Next?

If you have been a victim of sexual harassment or sexual violence that occurred on your college’s campus, your first step should be to report the incident to your school. Under Title IX, they must take steps to stop the harassment and prevent it from happening again. This may include providing accommodations, taking disciplinary measures against the offender, and putting new rules and laws in place.

Familiarize yourself with your school’s Title IX policies. If your school fails to take action, you have the legal right to file a complaint with the U.S. Department of Education’s Office for Civil Rights (OCR). However, you must act quickly, as an OCR complaint must be filed within 180 days of the sexual harassment.

While you’re not required to do so, it’s also a good idea to file a police report about the incident. This will not affect your Title IX rights. In addition, you should take advantage of any resources your school may have available, such as confidential services or counseling.

You may want to seek legal help. An experienced sexual harassment lawyer can help you understand your next steps. Keep in mind that you can file a private lawsuit under Title IX even if you file a complaint with the OCR, your school, or the police.

Contact The Garza Firm Today

Sexual harassment on a college or university is illegal, but not all schools see it as a serious issue. When they fail to take action, though, they could lose a lot of money.

Know your rights under Title IX. The California university/college sexual harassment lawyers at The Garza Firm can help you get compensation and justice. Schedule a consultation with our office today by filling out the online form or calling (949) 570-8350.

Share This Page:
Facebook Twitter LinkedIn